Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Rock N Roll Half Marathon

A couple of weeks ago I signed up for another half marathon.  I didn't really train for it, but figured I had ran with girls who had been, so I thought it was worth a shot!  Turns out, it was my fastest ever!  I don't know that I have ever felt more accomplished and proud when we crossed the finish line!  I never, ever thought I would be a runner, so I am still shocked each time I tie my shoes and head out!

Leading up to the race, we were all looking forward to it, thinking that the weather would be really nice, not too hot, not too cold.  We were very, very surprised to find out that it was going to be extremely cold and windy!

Kim and I before the race TRYING to stay warm, it was freezing!
Sarah and I heading to our corral before the race
There were several of us that signed up, all different paces, but my friend Sarah and I usually run together and are close in pace so we had planned to stay together. Our goal was to finish in 2:10, which would be a 10:00/mile pace.  We started out around a 10:00 mile, a little over, thinking we would keep it there and then pick it up towards the end.  The course until mile 9 was a steady incline, so we wanted to make sure we didn't tire before the last downhill stretch.  However, our pace quickly turned into sub 10!  I was hoping to be able to finish strong and felt pretty good until around mile 11/12, at that point I wasn't sure I was going to be able to keep up, but I had a great partner and we actually finished sub 9!

Close up of my watch, average pace of 9:14/mile!
I am so thankful for the encouragement I get each week on our runs. It is so nice to get up before the sun rises and share our joys and struggles.  We encourage each other physically and spiritually, and I am so grateful for the friendships running has provided!




No comments:

Post a Comment